2/1/11

Perspective.

Today the high was 10 degrees with a wind chill of -2. It looked like a beautiful and sunny winter day, unitl I  opened the garage and that wind hit my face. Yikes! It was cold. Really cold! We (Davis and I, Ryan only part of the time) have been in Utah for the past thirteen days, and still have another week here. Can you say long vacation? My brother had his farewell and left on his mission, We have gotten to do lots of lunch and dinner dates with good friends, I've fit in almost all of my clients for hair, Grandma and the kids have gotten lots of snuggle and play time with Davis, We will be celebrating Davis' first birthday on Saturday (a very last minute thrown together party, wish I was more on the ball), and this weekend Ryan's friends come into town for their annual Winter ski trip. It has been a busy but very fun trip thus far. I think I'm going to have a hard time leaving. Sigh.

Quick side note: Why is it that guys don't need guys, but girls need girls? Do you know what I mean? Even though I love my husband more than anyone, sometimes I just need to be with girls. I love that girlfriends (even ones I haven't seen for years) have this bond, this connection, and it's down right just theraputic to be with them sometimes. I love being a girl and I am thankful for my girlfriends, every single one of you!

Now, to the real reason I was posting. Perspective. Life is all about the way you view it.

My mom recently started working as a teacher at a title one Elemntary school (So proud of her). She told me a story the other night over dinner that just got me, right in the chest, you know where it just plain makes your heart hurt. A little girl in her class comes to school late every single day. Her mom walks her in, gets her all settled and situated and then leaves. My mom says, "I could tell she was always a very loving and good mom, I just never understood why she was always late." Until the other day... She is a single mom, at 10:00pm each night she wakes up her two children and goes to the mall. She lays them down on a bench to sleep for the night and she cleans the entire mall until 7:30am. She then takes them home, changes them, and brings them to school. She doesn't complain, she doesn't ask for help, she simply does what needs to be done to keep her kids alive and fed. She will probably never see me, or know me by name. Yet she has completely changed my perspective on life. For that I am grateful. The next time I decide to complain about being stuck inside all day, or cleaning the house, or having to cook, or the long list of ridiculous things I complain about, I will think of this woman. No matter what happens/ has happend/ or will happen you can make anything possible. You can make good out of any situation or trial in life. Sadly, sometimes I need little reminders like this to help me re prioritze my own life and focus with a new perspective.

6 comments:

k. said...

Gah! Whitney! I can't start my day crying!

A good reminder. Thank you.

And girls. Of course I understand - which is why I'm getting together with some friends tonight for some much needed laughter, conversation & of course - food. Without babies.

Mara and Jae said...

it truly is all about perspective! thanks for the awesome reminder :)

that's fun you get to be in utah for so long! too bad it's freaking frigid while you're here!! haha

Cami @ All Things Lovely said...

I can't believe you have been here that long and we still haven't gotten the babes together! sheesh!
First off kudos to your mom! That is so awesome...second thanks for the reminder! Yesterday I was totally being a baby cause Mase is teething and life is just "SO HARD"...waaahh cry me a river...i feel like a big lame-o now for complaining...so thank you for making me put myself in check and get over myself!
And play date this week please?!

The Alvords said...

Wow, that is the saddest but most inspirational thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing. We really are blessed to live the lives we live.

kimberlee shaffer said...

oh man Whitney, that hurt to read! I needed this so badly, Nate has the flu, Eden another ear infection and we have done nothing for 3 days. But I feel so blessed especially after reading that. What a strong and wonderful women she is! Thanks for sharing. (don't freeze your toosh off!)

Kimba said...

Thank you for that story! Oh and it is so true about girl friends! Love that!