1/31/12

Motherhood is kind of amazing...

when you really stop and think about it. The idea that we get to love a child, raise a child, and then send them off into this big scary world (in hopes that they come running back to you, of course). No matter how big they get or how old we get, we will always be their mother. And the fact that we are surrounded by millions & billions of women in our same shoes kind of amazes me. You see we are all linked, and (I believe) we all share this bond of just wanting the best for our child or children. But somewhere along the journey, I feel like I get lost in the mix. I start comparing and worrying, and trying to do everything... the guilt sets in. You should have done more today, you didn't do this, Davis didn't get this, you didn't teach him this. Why can that lady do everything & I can barely get out of my pj's some days. Do you know what I mean, have you ever said those phrases to yourself?


When I was away the other weekend on my girls trip, we were in the middle of one of our therapy sessions (because that's what girls do together) and my girlfriend (mother of 4) said something so empowering and so astounding, yet so simple... "My new motto for 2012 is Guilt Free Motherhood".  We all took it in for a second and looked at each other. If my child watched 2 hours of television because I was sick on the couch, if he ate an Oreo for lunch, if dinner didn't get made because we were playing cars on Davis' floor for hours, or if I need a babysitter during the day so I can run errands while he naps, then that's okay? Yes, that is okay! You do what you have to do as a mom. Some days are going to better than others, but I think at the end of the day we tried our best, we gave it our all. So quit feeling guilty! Just be your best self and everything will eventually get done. 


This new motto of "Guilt free motherhood" has freed me. I am enjoying my days better and truly living in the moments I spend with Ryan and Davis. I am no longer bogged down with guilt! I feel good at the end of the day knowing that I did the best I could do. I am learning to love myself for who I am today in this very moment. I think that as a mother, this is one of the best things we can do. 


So pull out a glass and toast to yourself... Guilt free motherhood!   


Random photos from the past month or so, because I'm random like that. 
Christmas in Utah. Farmer's Market. Ryan opened another Five Guys. We're having a BOY. New Christmas toys from Grandma. Lots of trips to the Beach. Girls getaway. Date night to our new favorite mexican. Pregnancy cravings. Valentine candy. 19 weeks. Davis has an unhealthy relationship with salsa & guacamole. 

7 comments:

.kaitlyn. said...

yay whit!! i'm not a mom yet but obviously I have guilt over my own short comings. read this yesterday and loved it:

http://www.ablogaboutlove.com/2012/01/how-to-stop-comparing-yourself-to.html

katie beth said...

you are kind of amazing, my dear. love you!

Whitney said...

Kaitlyn, I loved that article! Thank you, thank you for sharing.

agirlnamedgay said...

Whit you've got a way with words. thanks for sharing! xoxo

Nic & Spence said...

I seriously love your posts! made me teary eyed!

Whitney Nelson said...

Loved this post Whit. You're such an amazing mom with wonderful qualities! This makes me so excited to be mom, myself. Love you!

Jess said...

Loved this!! You are awesome Whit! And I must also say that our "therapy" sessions on this topic helped me SO much too!!