12/9/10

It's that time of year.

Christmas is in two weeks? What! Since when did that happen? Our stockings and stocking holders came this week. As I was setting them up on the mantle, one said DAD, one said MOM, and one said DAVIS. Mom and Dad... Wait, is that Ryan and I? I had an outer body experience for a second. I mean, I know that I am Davis' Mom, but to see it and call myself Mom and to call Ryan Dad, for some reason it just felt a little weird. I'm sure it will sink in one day-- maybe.

We bought our very first real Christmas tree together as a family. It is perfect. We decorated it a few nights ago, it is simple and nothing special but I love it. Sometimes at night, or during the day I plug it in and just stare at it. I don't know what it is about Christmas trees all lit up, they just do something to me. I really love this time of year. It makes me re-prioritize my life and remember what my purpose here is. It makes me want to be more selfless. I bought Davis his first pair of Christmas pajamas. They have little red and white stripes all over them. Growing up it was a tradition that every year on Christmas Eve we got to open one gift. To our surprise, it was always pajamas. As I was wrapping them and putting them under the tree tonight, I got a little, okay a lot emotional (yes, over silly pajamas). Maybe it was the realization that this year I won't do that with my whole family, or maybe it's that I am carrying on a tradition, for my own family now. Either way, I am thankful for traditions, I am thankful for my own little family that will only continue to grow, and I am thankful for the family that I came from. I love them and miss us all being together.

With the decorations up, palm trees wrapped in lights, holiday pine candles lit, peppermint bark in the candy jar (not really, I still have left over Halloween candy, but it sure sounds good doesn't it?), and Christmas presents slowly (I'm a last minute shopper) being put under the tree, it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas at the Howes home. The coco motion has been in full swing too, and I found peppermint whip cream at the store. I had no clue they even made that, amazing! Now all we need is a snow making machine. 



6 comments:

r+s+a laney said...

Your little guy is just too cute! I love your Christmas decor.

Jylare Smith said...

Cute! Where did you get those stocking holders?! I love them!

Whitney said...

Thanks Jylare! I searched everywhere for cute, but simple ones. I found them online at Pottery Barn.

kimberlee shaffer said...

they make fake snow at Town Square right by the Christmas tree and Santa. So there you go, you are all set! (=

Jenna Rabe said...

Whit!! I love those stockings! Super cute! I seriously love reading your blog... you are amazing. Lovely christmas tree too! I feel the same way about them! Love yoU!

mb said...

your tree is huge!! I tried to convince Scott to get a bigger tree but he refused...oh well, perhaps someday.

LOVE your decorations!