1/18/11

A long weekend.

Sometimes being a mom is hard. Really hard! And you just want to scream at the top of your lungs and say, "Check please, I'm done." Not really... but kind of. Davis got the flu this past weekend. Not a 12 hour one, or a 24 hour one, it lasted for three days! It almost killed me to see him so sad and just not himself. I lost track of how many times we cleaned up throw up and how many blow outs we had. His little body couldn't get rid of everything fast enough. He would just lay on me, staring up at me with his big blue eyes like, "mama, why am I hurting so bad?" I know it was just the flu, but I have a whole new appreciation for a healthy baby. I really do.

On the flip side, I got lots and lots of snuggles and cuddle time. He slept on me, and we took a nap together, which we haven't done since he was a newborn. I melted inside, and it made all those long days and long nights worth it. This is his first time (other than a cold) being sick. I hope it doesn't happen again for a long long time.

My little sister came to stay with us this weekend. We had a fun couple days all planned out, that kind of got pushed to the side with Davis being sick. Although we did get a little shopping and yummy food in. She was such a huge help. One day she is going to make an amazing mother! It was so nice to have someone else there, It helped me remember to not yell at Ryan. :) Sometimes, okay a lot of times when I get stressed out I take it out on him. It was a good reminder to just relax and laugh at the fact that I had throw up, poo, and pee all over from me from Davis at the same time, as well as Ryan. Or that Davis and I changed outfits one day 10 times. Sometimes you just have to laugh. It's therapeutic.

However, on a negative note, It's a little depressing to think that my washer and dryer have been running non stop for the past three days, and I still have a ginormous pile of our dirty clothes, that have not been touched, upstairs in our hamper. C'est La Vie.



Earlier last week I also took a last minute trip down to Santa Monica to see friend Lara (we have been friends since Elementary school) and get my atrocious hair done. It had been 2 months over due! It was a quick day and a half trip. We shopped, got pampered at the salon, ate amazing mexican food on the beach, stayed up late, and had lots of good old fashion girl talk. Call me a bad mother, but sometimes it's good to get away for a minute. It's good to miss them.


4 comments:

Mara and Jae said...

having a sick baby boy does sound ever so miserable for both baby and mom! but it does make for some super cute cuddly pictures :)

k. said...

I have your grey sweatshirt from Anthro, further solidifying the already-well-known-fact that we are shopping soulmates.

I'm calling you the first time that Q is sick. Were you terrified? Bravo for making it through, & so glad he's feeling better.

kimberlee shaffer said...

OOh yucky! I am so sorry you had to go through that. Knock on wood we have not had to deal with the diarrhea or throw up thing yet, but I am sure it is just a matter of time. Hope he and you and Ryan are feeling great now! Darling pictures by the way

Jenna Rabe said...

you amaze me!