2/23/11

I will do better.

Remember when my husband shaved my son's head and I about died of a heart attack! And when I finally got to see him the next morning, I honestly almost cried. Do you know what Ryan told me when I got home that night and was semi freaking out at him. "Oh whitney, don't be so dramatic, it's just hair. "Excuse me, I think I have every right to freak out just a little bit. Especially for finding out over a picture on facebook! I have come to the realization that it is just hair, and it will grow back... eventually. Thanks friends for all your nice comments and texts. It helped me prove to my husband that any other woman would feel the exact same way as me. Or at least I like to think so.  
  
I was catching up on all my tivo'd Oprah shows while folding laundry this morning. There was a 10 year old boy with a severe mental illness. He had tried to kill his mother when he was just 7 years old. Thankfully he is slowly getting better. It will be a life long battle for him. He said something so profound that I was kind of blown away by him. Oprah was interviewing him and asked him what he does to keep him self under control when he has those feelings of rage. He explained how he surrounds himself with a "white light" every single day. He tells himself positive thoughts and focuses on the love around him. Oprah then went on to say to him, "... So you try to not let the negative energy in?" He then interrupted Oprah and said, "I don't try, I do." For some reason that just hit something inside of me. Here is this 10 year old boy that is battling something so intense and hard, and he just says plain and simple, You don't try, you do. I am applying this to my own life. I won't try to be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, or friend, I will be a better one. Thank you 10 year old Zach, for teaching me how to live a better life. Don't think or try, just do.

 He slightly resembled a little alien today when I took this picture. A very cute alien. 

4 comments:

mb said...

Ooooh but he is still such a doll! And truthfully...I don't think I'd be able to speak to my husband for a while.

Imperfectly Perfect said...

Whit-Davis is still a stud, but I remember when we shaved Cole's head and it was all of his curly locks off! The good thing is after all of that is that Cole's hair came back even prettier and curlier! XOXO

Danielle Larsen said...

Don't worry, he's still adorable. I saw that episode on Oprah last week and it made me so sad. Working around kids all day and seeing all their different personalities made me feel so sad for this little boy. It's sad how they really can't control it sometimes. Hope all is well in Vegas!!

Danielle

Wendys Hat said...

Poor little Yoda. You are a brave {and too nice to Ryan} mother/wife Whitney. I couldn't even bare to look at Ryan's Baldy Locks post, let alone comment.