(even though he is really thirteen).
In no particular order, I have a million things to say about him. So bare with me. He speed crawls (we are still working on walking), climbs, and is into everything. He took his first steps when he was just over twelve months. He is always busy doing something. He is all of the sudden dirty all the time, and 100 percent boy. He claps when we clap, or when he hears people on TV clapping. He is a happy baby, so happy and keeps us laughing all day. He loves to cuddle and snuggle, we get hugs and loves from this boy all day long. He loves his mama, at least until Dad walks in the room. He is definitely a Daddy's boy. He eats with a fork, and vegetables are his favorite. He now sits forward facing in his car seat (a very pivotal moment for me). We have dance parties in the car. He is my bestest (I am aware this is not a word) little friend. Do you know what my very favorite moments with him are? When it is just us, there is no camera, no video, no documenting of any kind. When I just sit there and stare at him as if nothing else matters but being in that moment and noticing every little move and breath that he makes. Those are my favorite moments, and ones to never be forgotten.
Today I sit here reflecting on this past year. It kind of blows my mind when I think of how much can really change in a year. One year ago, I was a nervous wreck, well not completely, but kind of! I was crying on average 4 times a day (hormones) I was questioning every thing I did as a mother... am I taking good enough care of him, am I doing a good enough job, is he happy, does he feel loved, am I feeding him enough, is he getting enough sleep? And thinking to myself, how on earth do people have more than one child? I can happily sit here today and say... I did it, we did it, we survived the first year of being new parents, and Davis survived living with us (that has got to be a miracle in and of itself). I may have lost half of my already thin hair and Ryan may have a few gray hairs, but we did it. On the night he turned one, I sang to him, gave him his two binky's and laid him in his bed. I told him Happy Birthday and that I loved him about ten times. He smiled at me, and waved to me for the first time on his own (I about died of excitement). I closed the door, and sat on the floor and cried. They were happy tears, and maybe some sad ones too. I love this boy, with more love than I ever knew possible. I love being his mother and I love how he humbles me. You are going to great things one day Davis Dean, I just know it.
Friend Kaitlyn from Manhattan, whom I love, was in Utah for our ski trip and so graciously came and took pictures for us. She was able to capture some of my favorite moments. Words can not express my gratitude for her. These pictures will be treasured for a lifetime to come! Here are just a few.

One Year ago, at our first house, in front of our first barn, with our soon to be first child, Ryan snapped a perfectly imperfect photo of me. I am making it a tradition to do with Davis every year. Even when he is 16 years old and too cool for his mom, I can show him this and say too bad, you're doing it!
















16 comments:
oh I love all the pictures!! They are so cute! He really does look like a little boy...no more baby. It's a good thing though..its fun to see them change and grow.
such a cute post! isn't it amazing what being a mom can do to you...from thinning hair to loving someone soo sooo sooooo soooo very much. but at times being so overwhelmed and hoping your child is feeling enough love..ahhh!!...and the list just goes on and on...and i cried too when andrew turned 1 and 2 and 3... your a cute mom and he is so stinkin cute too!
I LOVE IT!!!
And what a great idea to take those pictures every year! I may be five and a half years too late but I'm definitely going to copy that tradition from now on!
Also, can we play?!
LOVE LOVE LOVE. all the pictures, all the little stories. you are one beautiful lady with one beautiful one year old :)
These are so perfect, Whitney. Love them all, + everything you said.
Whit you are amazing! You gave me chills! I love you!
Adorable!
Whit...this post made me teary-eyed! You are such a cute mom and are doing so good, obviously, if you are being an example to me! The pictures turned out SO CUTE! I love them! Love you.
Okay, how adorable are you?!! I just LOVE all of these pictures! You are such a sweet mommy! Im incredibly jealous of that. Davis is adorable, and you both look so so happy! Yay for babies!
Incredible pictures! Amazing family! Perfection! Happy First Mommy Birthday to you Whitney!
He is so dang cute and your family is absolutely beautiful!
These pictures are amazing and your post is so lovely. Did Kaitlyn take all of the pics? I love the sweet moments you share with you little boy.... Its amazing how much you can love someone, right!? Beautiful family you have.
I cried while reading this entire post, it was beautiful. I think it's because I just had one of those perfect moments with Lucy where I've never felt so much love, so I can totally relate to everything you wrote. You guys are lucky to have each other. Those photos are gorgeous. I'm jealous and really want some of our family that look just like that. I'll pay your friend a million dollars to capture us next time she's in town.
oh this makes me just so happy. you + baby are so so sweet.
Lindsey, yes Kaitlyn took all of them. She is one talented lady!
Friends, your kindness blows me away! Thank you, thank you for being so sweet!
Whit you are such a cute mom! I love it! It makes me smile! :)
Post a Comment